KHS Avid Program
Our goal at King High School is to ensure college readiness for all students by:
- Shaping a college ready culture within the AVID program and school wide,
- Increasing student participation in the most rigorous courses,
- Breaking down cultural barriers,
- Improving parental involvement,
- Developing persistence in all students, especially first generation college goers
Philosophy: We will prepare all students in the AVID program at the level needed to enter and succeed at a post secondary institution that offers a baccalaureate degree.
The Need: AVID addresses a crisis in American society: low income, minority students from families lacking a college background are not participating in college preparatory programs or reaching their full potential. AVID prepares these students for four-year college and university eligibility and success. We are driven by the data that shows students who take AP courses and exams are much more likely than their peers to complete a bachelor’s degree in four years or less.